HOW TO DO A TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT?
If you are in a position wondering about how you can carry out a transmission replacement, then you are at the right spot! It isn’t a straightforward job to replace the transmission of your car, but if it isn’t working correctly, then you probably don’t have an option. Just look through the costs of all the parts that need to be included in the replacement before you even start jacking up the car and turn wrenches in your vehicle! Sometimes, it is beneficial to sell the car than replace the transmission, therefore always add up all the parts’ costs before proceeding to build a new one or returning it.
Rebuilding a transmission rather than transmission replacement can turn out to be more economical for you to restore your communication than installing a used or even a new one.
PROCEDURE OF TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT
If you are still interested in the transmission replacement of your car, then let me tell you that the system will be varied quite significantly, no matter if you’re doing it on the front wheel drive vehicle or an all-wheel-drive car or even a truck for that instance. The following procedure is very general and covers the basics of replacing the transmission.
- Start by blocking your vehicle so that it cannot move or roll and disconnecting the negative battery cables. You might have to raise your car using the jack to have enough space for removing the transmission. Rising the vehicle will make your job a lot easier. Make sure that the vehicle is completely secure at its increased level before you crawl under it.
- Before crawling under the car, loosen the bolts, unplug the wires and move the shift linkages. You may also need to remove the center console to gain access to the wire clippings and plugs or move shift linkages. The main idea of the removing of these parts is to remove everything that is connected to the transmission so that the parts do not get damaged during the removal of the communication.
- Now the next step would be to slide under the vehicle and check for the wirings and connectors (if any left) so that you can remove them and have enough room for taking out the transmission. Drain out the fluid of transmission and remove the drive shafts and axles. Once you have removed every hose, wire, and other equipment from the transmission and the drain the fluid, you will be ready to start the removal of the communication.
- Start by removing the nuts and bolts, which are attached to the housings of the bells to the engine blocks. Some of these will be quickly removed while some would require universal joints or long extensions on the socket for eliminating them. The transmission is held in your car by alignment dowels and the input shafts. Therefore you should be careful while removing the bolts so that the transfer doesn’t slide out.
- To save your torque converter or clutch from any damage, you need to slide the assignment straight away in a go from the engine. The transfer is supported by an engine mount, which is a cross member. Thus, you need to remove this first making sure that the weight of the transmission and that of the engine is being supported with a stand or a jack to remove any damage that can be caused. Once you see the entire torque converter or the input shaft, you can start lowering the transmission and pull it straight out from under your car.
- You can label the components to make your job simpler while removing each part correctly. This will help you in assembling everything back together in the right way.
If the above sounds way too long and arduous, then you are right. It is a cumbersome process no doubt. It requires the removal of components with perfectionism and knowing how to replace the transmission doesn’t make your job easy at all, because these components are weighty to handle.
If you do not wish to replace your transmission anytime sooner, then make sure that you do proper maintenance of your existent communication. The things that you need to keep in check are
- Check your transmission fluid to make sure that the level is apt and needs no changes. If you want to find the transmission fluid leak, go check out the https://emotoauto.com/ to know more about the transmission fluids.
- The second thing is to change the transmission fluid of your car at factory level recommendations.
- Old transmission often causes premature wear of your communication, making it necessary to replace. Add your transmission fluid before any more significant damage is done.
Transmission fluid leak is hazardous especially if you’re driving your car with the hole. Its leading cause is the gap in your car’s transmission. Sometimes the heat can also cause cracks between the lines thus creating a fluid leak. This drains out the transmission fluid very fast, so it is best to go to the shop of a mechanic if such a scenario happens.
TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT COSTS
There are times where it becomes necessary to change the entire transmission assembly. The clutches, internal gears, plates, and the other hard parts get damaged to the point that they cannot be used again. Replacing all the parts of the transmission would cost your loads of money. Thus a new communication is always a better option in such cases. When you need pricing for a new transfer, you’ll need to get the details of your car. The price depends basically on the type of vehicle you drive – performance car, economy car, trucks, light-duty cars, diesel or gas engines. Approximately, the transmission replacement varies between $2500 and $6000 (and maybe more at times). A foreign car doe not mean that you should be expecting to pay a lot more for your car’s transmission repair, but it is one thing that you should keep in mind whenever you go for servicing of your vehicle.
Now that you know everything about the replacements and rebuilding the transmission, I hope you can decide about the option that will best suit your requirements and budget.