Launched in 2009 in San Francisco, California, Uber has grown to become a movement in more than 531 cities in 68 countries in the world! Contrary to popular belief, it is not a taxi service. So what is uber? Uber is a car-sharing service that matches willing car owners/ drivers with passengers. Remember the late night parties that end when tube service shuts down? Or just plain need to hire a cab early morning when there are no taxis on the roads? Uber is the solution to these and similar situations. It works via an easy-to-use app. Just input your location, choose the type of ride (low cost/ Sedan/ SUV), get a driver and see his route on GPS, reach destination, pay safely via cash or direct debit and give feedback ratings to the driver (the driver also rates you) and voila, you are hooked to Uber.
Uber Driver Overview
Uber goes beyond the quotas and permits system of traditional taxis. It is actually immensely profitable to become an uber driver. More than a million people have become Uber drivers, part time or full time because:-
- Freedom to operate as per one’s schedule, no commercial driving permit is required. Full time students, teachers, engineers, hotel employees and more drive Uber for extra part time income while many do it as a full time job.
- No upfront costs, laborious regulations, membership fees or tedious waiting period required to become an Uber driver
- Chance to meet interesting people every day
- Uber provides extra incentives such as free health insurance, discounts on phone bills, free music and financial management services to Uber Partners in many cities
- Make extra money with the help of Uber surge pricing during peak hours or special occasions such as New Year’s!
Start Driving For Uber
Uber driver requirements specifics might change in different cities and countries but the basics remain the same.
- At least 21 years of age, valid driving license or legally allowed to drive in your city
- Access to a 4-door car
- Car must be registered (not necessarily in your name) and have valid insurance
- No criminal record and good driving history
Simply fill up and application and attach copies of driving license, car registration, insurance and other needed documents to prove adherence to Uber driver requirements and become a Uber Partner.
Smart Car Options For Uber
Be smart while choosing a car to drive as Uber partner. Major decisions to be made include whether to buy a new car or used one, whether to own a car outright or lease it and cost of ownership over an extended period of time. Fuel costs, maintenance, warranty, service charges, general wear and tear all need to be taken into account.
Uber car requirements change with different Uber levels. Basically all Uber cars must be full 4-door models, no older than 10 years, must pass inspection and must not be marked, taxi or salvaged vehicles. All Uber levels are not available in all cities.
Low-cost options of Uber X & XL need everyday cars such a Toyota Prius, Ford Focus, Honda Accord, Nissan Quest and Toyota Highlander.
Toyota Camry is one of the best options for UberX owing to great mileage and spacious interiors.
Entry-level luxury is offered by UberSelect through cars such as BMW 3 Series & above, Mercedes C-Class & above and Cadillac.
Cadillac CT6 provides full luxury with impressive fuel economy!
High-end UberBlack and UberSUV offer high standards of luxury through cars such as Lincoln MKT, Porsche Panamera, Chevrolet Suburban and Lincoln Navigator.
For e.g. Mercedes Benz E-Class is one of the most popular options for UberBlack
Many cars cross over through different levels.
For e.g. Cadillac Escalade ESV provides a complete VIP experience and is fit for Uber XL as well as Black levels.
A complete luxury experience is offered by UberLUX cars such as BMW 7 Series Range Rover.
Audi A8 is one of the ultimate names in luxury